THE HISTORY OF
Von der Pension Hermitage zur heutigen Hermitage.
Herrliberger’s engraving of 1754/1758 shows the “Unterwartenfluh”, an idyllic, managed farm estate, on the current site of the HERMITAGE. This rustic building was pulled down and rebuilt in 1889/90. In 1905, the farm estate owned by Franz Haas was sold to brothers Anton and Carl Buehler and ship’s captain Joseph Lauber.
OPENING OF THE HERMITAGE
The house on the Unterwartenfluh was converted and opened in 1907 as the Hotel-Pension “Hermitage”. In its secluded location and best reached by steamboat, this guest house was an attractive counterpoint to the international atmosphere of Lucerne’s hotel zone with its palatial hotels along the newly built quay, where aristocrats and the upper class from around the world used to meet.